NDIS participants in residential aged care
Residential aged care providers supporting NDIS participants will be registered with the NDIS Commission from 1 December 2020
From 1 December 2020, residential aged care (RAC) providers supporting NDIS participants will be registered with the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission and:
- help you, and your families and carers, by responding to your concerns or complaints
- uphold your right to be free from harm
- promote safe and quality services
- abide by the NDIS Code of Conduct and Practice Standards for providers and workers
- manage incidents involving participants
- report incidents, including abuse and neglect, to the NDIS Commission
- promote positive behaviour support.
We are working hard to support RAC providers to understand the new obligations.
If you are an NDIS participant living in residential aged care, this change does not affect the supports that you receive. Your RAC provider and their workers are already required to abide by the NDIS Code of Conduct, which upholds your right to be treated with respect, free from exploitation, violence, abuse and neglect.
Who to call if you have a complaint
If you have a complaint about:
- the NDIS supports and services you receive from your RAC provider, call the NDIS Commission on 1800 035 544. It’s OK to complain – speaking up can help to improve services for yourself and others.
- care and services provided under the Aged Care Act 1997, call the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission on 1800 951 822.
If you are not sure who to contact, please contact us. We will work with the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission to resolve your concerns.
Find out more
We have written a fact sheet called Young people in residential aged care: Information for NDIS participants. The fact sheet explains the role and responsibility of the NDIS Commission, the rights of NDIS participants, and provider obligations.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for people with disability
Visit our Coronavirus (COVID-19) webpage for people with disability for links to updates about COVID-19 and resources for NDIS participants.
- RAC Provider Page
- Code of Conduct
- Poster: NDIS Code of Conduct
- Fact Sheet: Young people in residential aged care – information for NDIS providers
- Fact sheet: How to make a complaint
- Participant Information Pack
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Frequently asked questions
- Fact sheet: About the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission
- Easy read: Why we need an NDIS Commission
- Fact Sheet: Young people in residential aged care – information for NDIS participants
- Easy Read: Handling complaints and fixing problems
- How to make a complaint about a provider
- Fact sheet: The NDIS Code of Conduct
- Easy read: About
- Easy read: NDIS Providers
- Easy read: NDIS Participants
- Easy read: Workers
- NDIS participants in residential aged care: Update on provider exemption from NDIS registration