Complaints and concerns

If you have a concern or complaint about the quality or safety of services provided to an NDIS participant in all states and territories except Western Australia, you can make a complaint on behalf of a person with disability to the NDIS Commission.

If you work in Western Australia, you can find information about making a complaint on the Disability Loop website.

If you have complaints or concerns about the way an NDIS providers treats its workers, you can contact the Fair Work Commission.