NDIS Commission coronavirus (COVID-19) information
This page contains links to updates, training, alerts, and resources for NDIS participants and providers. This information is to inform and support NDIS providers to continue to deliver quality and safe supports and services to NDIS participants.
This page contains the following information:
Outbreak management, infection control and PPE usage
Stay updated with the latest advice about COVID-19 from your state or territory's public health unit to ensure you and your workers are complying with local guidance.
The following information can assist you to prepare for and respond to a COVID-19 outbreak:
- Outbreak management: Our fact sheet on Outbreak preparedness, prevention and management supports registered NDIS providers to prepare for, respond to, and manage an outbreak of COVID-19.
- National guidelines for outbreak prevention and management – Disability supplement: National guidance on preventing and managing COVID-19 outbreaks in disability residential services (March 2021).
- Infection control: Infection prevention and control training from the Australian Government Department of Health.
- Using PPE: Video from the Department of Health about Wearing personal protective equipment for disability support workers. Our fact sheet for providers on the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) explains when PPE should be used, how requests for PPE are prioritised, and provides an update on the current availability of PPE in Australia.
Registered providers should use the Notification of event form – COVID-19 (Registered providers) to notify us of changes or events resulting from the COVID-19 outbreak.
COVID-19 vaccine information
The Australian Government Department of Health (Department of Health) has launched dedicated information pages for people with disability and disability service providers about COVID-19 vaccines.
- People with disability: The webpage for people with disability contains important information about COVID-19 vaccines and the vaccination rollout.
- Providers: The webpage for disability service providers contains information and resources to help you plan for the COVID-19 vaccine rollout.
The Department of Health will continue to update the information on these pages, so we strongly encourage you to visit these pages regularly.
Visit our Coronavirus (COVID-19) webpage for people with disability for links to updates about COVID-19 and resources for NDIS participants.
Frequently asked questions
Visit our webpage of frequently asked questions about COVID-19 and how it affects the services and supports you provide to NDIS participants. We will continue to update these over time.
Notification of changes and events related to COVID-19
Registered providers should use the Notification of event form – COVID-19 (Registered providers) to notify the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commissioner of changes or events resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Training for NDIS workers during COVID-19
Visit our Training for NDIS workers during COVID-19 webpage for information about training available to new and existing NDIS workers.
Training module: Infection prevention and control for COVID-19
You can access an online training module for all support workers, including those in disability and aged care.
If you experience issues accessing this online training module, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The training covers the fundamentals of infection prevention and control (IPC) for COVID-19, including: COVID-19 – what is it?, Signs and symptoms, Keeping safe – protecting participants and your workforce, and Mythbusting.
Provider alerts and communications
- Our provider alerts about COVID-19 contain information about COVID-19, including vaccination, infection prevention and control, supporting people with disability, your obligations, and training and resources, see.
- We have issued separate alerts only to providers in NSW, Queensland, the Northern Territory, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and Western Australia, which are available on our webpages for those states.
- Letter to providers about subscribing to our communications (10 March 2020)
- Letter to providers about notifying of changes (24 March 2020)
- Letter to Victorian providers about your obligations (6 August 2020)
NDIS Commission guidance and resources
- COVID-19 information pack for NDIS providers and workers: This information pack consolidates the guidance and advice we have issued during the COVID-19 pandemic to inform, educate and remind NDIS providers of the support available to help you meet your obligations to NDIS participants.
- What the NDIS Commission is doing: Advice for NDIS providers on how to comply with obligations under the NDIS Code of Conduct and NDIS Practice Standards, how to notify the NDIS Commission of certain events, and how to reduce the risk to participants.
- Case studies of the NDIS Commission’s compliance approach: This fact sheet uses case studies to explain some key considerations to bear in mind to comply with their obligations to keep NDIS participants safe from harm during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Infection prevention and control
- COVID-19 outbreak preparedness, prevention and management: This fact sheet supports registered NDIS providers to prepare for, respond to, and manage an outbreak of COVID-19.
- Information on the use of personal protective equipment (PPE): This fact sheet explains when PPE should be used, how requests for PPE are prioritised, and provides an update on the current availability of PPE in Australia.
Behaviour support and restrictive practices
- Behaviour support and restrictive practices: Information to assist NDIS providers to better understand behaviour support and restrictive practices due to COVID-19.
- Managing behaviours of concern and new or increased restrictive practices during COVID-19 isolation: This fact sheet explains how to prevent the escalation of behaviours of concern and the use of restrictive practices during COVID-19 isolation. It has been developed with advice from the Department of Health.
- COVID-19 vaccines: Informed consent, preparing for the vaccine, and restrictive practices: This fact sheet aims to assist NDIS providers to better understand their obligations when supporting people with disability to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
Links to government resources
The Australian Government has developed the following resources for providers and workers in the disability sector.
Infection prevention and control
- Wearing PPE for disability support workers (video): This Department of Health video explains how and when disability support workers should use PPE, and demonstrates the correct way to put it on and remove it.
- Guide to PPE for disability care providers: Department of Health guidance on using PPE to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- National guidelines for the prevention, control and public health management of COVID-19 outbreaks in residential settings: National guidelines from the Communicable Diseases Network Australia (CDNA). Updated March 2021.
- COVID-19 Guide for Home Care providers: Department of Health guide for providers of aged care and disability services who offer home care and support services to people living at home.
- Department of Health videos and campaign resources: A series of short videos, posters and audio from the Department of Health about COVID-19 and the steps we can all take to protect ourselves and those most at risk, and help stop the spread.
Supporting people with disability during COVID-19
- Supporting people with intellectual or developmental disability to access health care during COVID-19: This Department of Health fact sheet is for disability support providers and workers providing health care to people with intellectual or developmental disability during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Guidelines on the rights of people with disability in health and disability care during COVID-19: Practical guidance from the Australian Human Rights Commission to assist health care and disability workers to consider the human rights of people with disability when providing support during the pandemic.
- COVID-19 testing for people with disability: Department of Health fact sheet for support workers and carers of people with disability, covering who should be tested, where testing can be done, and how to explain the testing process to a person with disability.
- COVID-19 planning resource for people with disability: This planning guide helps people with disability make a plan for how they will manage the impact of COVID-19.
- Management and operational plan for people with disability: High-level guidance from the Department of Health on a range of factors that need to be considered in managing and preventing the transmission of COVID-19 for people with disability.
- Information for health professionals: Guidance from the Department of Health for health workers who provide health care to people with intellectual or developmental disability during the COVID-19 pandemic. It includes fact sheets with general information for primary health care staff, health workers and mental health workers, and health workers in emergency departments and hospitals.
Resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and remote communities
- The Australian Government Department of Health has developed a collection of resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and remote communities about COVID-19. This includes audio, video, posters, newsletters, infographics and a series of short videos, posters and guidance from the Communicable Diseases Network Australia.
- The National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO) has a dedicated webpage with health alerts and links to COVID-19 resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- The First People’s Disability Network’s website contains information, resources and videos to help protect yourself, Elders, family and the community from COVID-19 and keep safe.
Updates and advice: Australian Government
- Australian Government COVID-19 updates: Visit the Australian Government website for the latest news, updates and advice on COVID-19.
- COVIDSafe resources: Resources to help you promote your organisation as a COVIDSafe environment.
- Department of Health updates: Daily updates on COVID-19.
- Other languages: The Department of Home Affairs has translated COVID-19 information into 36 languages.
- COVIDSafe app: This app can help health officials contact people exposed to COVID-19.
- Coronavirus Australia app: The official government Coronavirus Australia app.
Use trusted information sources
There is a lot of misinformation about COVID-19. Use trusted information sources only (such as Australian Government websites, the NDIA and the NDIS Commission). We only provide links to trusted products, services and information sources. Do not get tricked into a scam.
The Australian Government eSafety Commissioner's online safety kit helps parents and carers find reliable information.