NDIS Commission coronavirus (COVID-19) information
This page contains links to updates, training, alerts, and resources for NDIS participants and providers. This information is to inform and support NDIS providers to continue to deliver quality and safe supports and services to NDIS participants.
This page contains the following information:
- Outbreak management, infection control and PPE usage
- Participant information
- Frequently asked questions
- Training for NDIS workers during COVID-19
- Training module: Infection prevention and control for COVID-19
- Provider alerts and communications
- Notification of changes and events related to COVID-19
- Links to government resources
- Resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and remote communities
- Updates and advice: Australian Government
- Use trusted information sources
Outbreak management, infection control and PPE usage
Stay updated with the latest advice about COVID-19 from your state or territory's public health unit to ensure you and your workers are complying with local guidance.
The following information can assist you to prepare for and respond to a COVID-19 outbreak:
- Outbreak management: Our Fact sheet: Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Outbreak preparedness, prevention and management supports registered NDIS providers to prepare for, respond to, and manage an outbreak of COVID-19.
- Infection control: Infection prevention and control training from the Australian Government Department of Health.
- Using PPE: Video from the Department of Health about Wearing personal protective equipment for disability support workers. Our Fact sheet: Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Information for providers on the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) explains when PPE should be used, how requests for PPE are prioritised, and provides an update on the current availability of PPE in Australia.
Registered providers should use the Notification of event form – COVID-19 (Registered providers) to notify us of changes or events resulting from the COVID-19 outbreak.
Visit our Coronavirus (COVID-19) webpage for people with disability for links to updates about COVID-19 and resources for NDIS participants.
Frequently asked questions
Visit our webpage of frequently asked questions about COVID-19 and how it affects the services and supports you provide to NDIS participants. We will continue to update these over time.
Training for NDIS workers during COVID-19
Visit our Training for NDIS workers during COVID-19 webpage for information about training available to new and existing NDIS workers.
Training module: Infection prevention and control for COVID-19
You can access an online training module for all support workers, including those in disability and aged care.
If you experience issues accessing this online training module, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The training covers the fundamentals of infection prevention and control (IPC) for COVID-19, including: COVID-19 – what is it?, Signs and symptoms, Keeping safe – protecting participants and your workforce, and Mythbusting.
Provider alerts and communications
- Provider alerts: For information about coronavirus, including provider obligations, how to reduce the risk to participants, and links to updates and resources, please see our Provider Alerts about COVID-19. In addition, we have issued separate alerts only to providers in NSW, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania and Victoria, which are available on our webpages for those states.
- Letter to Victorian registered NDIS providers: The NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commissioner wrote to registered NDIS providers in Victoria on 6 August 2020 to remind them of their obligations, in light of the introduction of stage 4 restrictions in the Melbourne metropolitan area.
- Letter to registered providers: The NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commissioner wrote to providers on 10 March 2020 drawing providers’ attention to the COVID-19 Provider Alert and pointing out that it is essential that providers remain subscribed to all NDIS Commission communications.
- Notification of changes letter to providers: We wrote to registered providers on 24 March about the new form they must use to notify us of any change or event specified in section 13 or 13A of the NDIS (Provider Registration and Practice Standards) Rules 2018 that relate to the impact of COVID-19.
- Fact sheet – Behaviour support and restrictive practices: This fact sheet provides information to assist NDIS providers to better understand behaviour support and restrictive practices due to COVID-19.
- Fact sheet – Information on the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): This fact sheet explains when PPE should be used, how requests for PPE are prioritised, and provides an update on the current availability of PPE in Australia.
- Fact sheet – COVID-19 outbreak preparedness, prevention and management: This fact sheet supports registered NDIS providers to prepare for, respond to, and manage an outbreak of COVID-19.
- Fact sheet – Coronavirus (COVID-19): Case studies of the NDIS Commission’s compliance approach: This fact sheet uses case studies to explain some key considerations to bear in mind during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Information pack – COVID-19 information pack for NDIS providers and workers: This pack consolidates the guidance and advice we issued during the COVID-19 pandemic to inform, educate and remind NDIS providers of the support available to help you meet your obligations to NDIS participants.
- Fact sheet – Managing behaviours of concern and new or increased restrictive practices during COVID-19 isolation: This fact sheet explains how to prevent the escalation of behaviours of concern and the use of restrictive practices during COVID-19 isolation. It has been developed with advice from the Australian Government Department of Health.
Notification of changes and events related to COVID-19
Registered providers should use the Notification of event form – COVID-19 (Registered providers) to notify the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commissioner of change or events resulting from the COVID-19 outbreak.
Links to government resources
The Australian Government has developed the following resources for providers and workers in the disability sector.
- Guidelines on the rights of people with disability in health and disability care during COVID-19: The Australian Human Rights Commission has issued practical guidance to assist health care and disability workers to consider the human rights of people with disability when providing support during the pandemic.
- Information for disability support providers and workers: This Australian Government Department of Health fact sheet provides guidance to assist people with intellectual or developmental disability to access health care during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Wearing PPE for disability support workers (video): The Department of Health has released a video explaining how and when disability support workers should use PPE, and demonstrating the correct way to put it on and remove it.
- Guide to personal protective equipment (PPE) for disability care providers: The Department of Health has produced guidance on using PPE to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- COVID-19 testing for people with disability: The Department of Health has released a fact sheet for support workers and carers of people with disability. The fact sheet covers who should be tested, where testing can be done, and how to explain the testing process to a person with disability.
- COVID-19 planning resource for people with disability: This planning guide helps people with disability to get the facts about COVID-19 and make a plan for how they will manage the impact of this situation.
- Management and operational plan for people with disability: The Australian Government Department of Health issued high-level guidance on a range of factors that need to be considered in managing and preventing the transmission of COVID-19 for people with disability.
- Guide for home care providers: This guide from the Department of Health is for providers of aged care and disability services who offer home care and support services to people living at home. It provides guidance on staying safe from COVID-19.
- Residential care facilities: National guidelines for the prevention, control and public health management of COVID-19 outbreaks (Communicable Diseases Network Australia). These guidelines provide some useful information for disability providers to apply in the context of the settings where they deliver support to people with disability.
- Information for health professionals: The Department of Health has released guidance for health workers who provide health care to people with intellectual or developmental disability during the COVID-19 pandemic. It includes fact sheets with general information for primary health care staff, health workers and mental health workers, as well as for health workers in emergency departments and hospitals.
- COVID-19 preparedness webinar for in-home and community aged care (Department of Health).
- Department of Health videos and campaign resources: The Department of Health has released a series of short videos, posters and audio about COVID-19 and the steps we can all take to protect ourselves and those most at risk, and help stop the spread.
- Health care and residential care workers: An information sheet issued by the Department of Health for health care and residential care workers about COVID-19.
Resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and remote communities
- The Department of Health has developed a collection of resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and remote communities about COVID-19. This includes audio, video, posters, newsletters, infographics and a series of short videos, posters and guidance from the Communicable Diseases Network Australia.
- The National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO) has a dedicated webpage with health alerts and links to COVID-19 resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- The First People’s Disability Network’s website contains information, resources and videos to help protect yourself, Elders, family and the community from COVID-19 and keep safe.
Updates and advice: Australian Government
- Australian Government COVID-19 updates: Visit the Australian Government website for the latest news, updates and advice on COVID-19.
- COVIDSafe app: This app can help health officials quickly contact people exposed to COVID-19. You can download it from on the Apple App Store or Google Play.
- COVIDSafe resources: The Australian Government has developed a number of resources to help you promote your organisation as a COVIDSafe environment.
- Coronavirus Australia app: Download the official government 'Coronavirus Australia' app in the Apple App Store or Google Play. Or join the Australian Government's WhatsApp channel on iOS or Android.
- Department of Health updates: The Department of Health website also has daily updates on COVID-19.
- NDIS Commission fact sheet: Our fact sheet, Coronavirus (COVID-19): What the NDIS Commission is doing, contains advice for NDIS providers on how to comply with their obligations under the NDIS Code of Conduct and NDIS Practice Standards, how to notify the NDIS Commission of certain events, and how to reduce the risk to participants. It also contains links to important information for participants, as well as our contact details.
- Department of Health Coronavirus FAQs: The Department of Health has issued an information sheet that answers common questions about COVID-19.
- Other languages: The Department of Home Affairs has translated COVID-19 information into 36 languages.
Use trusted information sources
There is a lot of misinformation about COVID-19. Use trusted information sources only (such as Australian Government websites, the NDIA and the NDIS Commission). We only provide links to trusted products, services and information sources. Do not get tricked into a scam.
The Australian Government eSafety Commissioner's online safety kit helps parents and carers find reliable information.